If you are a regular reader of Fruit Maven (and you memorize all my ratings and reviews so you can recite them to your friends at parties), you may recall that I am not the biggest fan of the Kiwano Melon. It’s a total rockstar fruit to look at but completely dull and annoying to actually eat. So I was determined to figure out how to make this little blowfish fruit a party pleaser. And wa-la! It hit me — cocktail of course! So I started with one of my favorite recipes - the French 75 and doctored it up with kiwano melon and mint. This cocktail has a very grown up flavor, which is the perfect counterpoint to the ridiculousness of the “cup” I put it in. You host a party with this cocktail and it just screams CONFIDENCE. You’ll be getting promoted and hi-fiving people in your new corner office in no time.
- 1/2 kiwano melon
- 3 mint leaves
- 2 ounces gin (Hendricks is excellent for this)
- 1/2 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice (or about half a lemon)
- Ice cubes
- Slice Kiwano Melon in half. Take a knife and cut around the edges of the melon between the peel and the flesh. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh and place in cocktail shaker. Set aside the melon half.
- Add the mint leaves and muddle vigorously (muddle way more than you think – those little gelatin pods are not that interested in giving up their juice. MUDDLE!).
- Add gin and lemon juice.
- Shake with ice and strain in to melon half, or use a martini glass if you are too prissy to hold a prickly cup.
- Top with champagne.
- Garnish with lemon or kiwano slice.
WHERE TO GET THEM
When in season, you can buy Kiwano Melons at most asian stores, some standard grocery stores and online here. If you get them online, a small amount will go to support the Fruit Maven. So thanks in advance!