I thought it would be helpful to create a resource page that you can always come to for all of your fruit adventuring needs. I am surprised by all the various tools I have amassed over the last few years. Some have made cutting, eating, learning and cooking with fruit immensely more fun and convenient and some have just been an immense waste of space in my cupboards. This is a list of only the best that I recommend and use myself.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links and if you purchase through them a small amount will go to support the Fruit Maven. So thanks in advance!
Gadgets and gizmos:
- Citrus Peeler – No more using your thumbnail. Gross!
- Citrus Microplane Zester – Perfectly soft zest for cooking and baking without the grated knuckles.
- Apple Corer – Easiest apple cutter I have ever used in my life. WAY easier than a knife.
- Best Melon Baller! – Doesn’t feel flimsy like the plastic ones.
- Reusable tote bag for the farmer’s market!
Cocktail making essentials:
- Wooden Muddler – there are tons of options, but for some reason I like the wooden ones. Feels right.
- Citrus Decorative Zester
- Super Quick Lemon Juicer – If you just need a squeeze of half a lemon or a bit to sprinkle over fish or a veggie and don’t want it on your hands. Unnecessary but awesome.
- Flower shaped cutters – These are perfect for cutting little shapes of apple or carrot (ACK! I mentioned a vegetable!) and then cut a little slit and slide on to the rim of the glass.
Tools for juicing:
- Breville Juice Fountain Elite – my most beloved and prized appliance next to my mixer (sshhh I don’t use a KitchenAid – WHAT?)
- Chez Panisse Fruit by Alice Waters – If you are a lover of food then you are likely a lover of Alice Waters. This book is a delight as is everything she does.
- Luscious Lemon Desserts by Lori Longbotham & Alison Miksch – I love love love lemon desserts. Yummy.
- Ripe for Dessert: 100 Outstanding Desserts with Fruit by David Lebovitz – one of my very favorite pastry chefs. I am baffled as to why this is out of print. Totally worth getting this one used.
- The Berry Bible – 175 Recipes Using Cultivated, Wild, Fresh & Frozen Berries – such a great book, only available used or on Kindle these days
- The Great Exotic Fruit Book: A Handbook with Recipes by Norman Van Aken & John Harrisson
- Fruit: Edible, Inedible, Incredible by Wolfgang Stuppy, Rob Kesseler – Gorgeous book of photographs and information about berries. There are so many!
- Fruit Hunters: A Story of Nature, Adventure, Commerce and Obsession by Adam Gollner – I actually listened to to the audio version of this book. Such a fun collection of crazy stories. Fruit people are nuts!
Mail order fruit suppliers:
Tools for the website:
- Camera: Nikon D3000 Digital SLR – If you follow along on this blog you can pretty much tell the day that I got this camera. My photos went from this to THIS. I also read all of the photography tutorials from White On Rice Couple and while I am nowhere near their perfection, the tutorials clearly helped.
- Designer: Keri Marion Design – She is great to work with and loves fruit! Win. Win.